Saturday, July 4, 2009

Melbourne, from a food-lover's point of view - Part 2

International Cakes

Our hotel in Melbourne was right smack in the CBD which allowed us to explore the city by foot. I came across this cake shop on Lonsdale St. Unless you stare at the ground whilst walking, there is no way you'll miss this place. Called International Cakes, the entire shop window is a display of an assortment of exotic cakes and many more inside the store.


I found that most of the cakes weren't "international" per se. Unless you happened to be very experienced in European pastries, you would have no clue as to what each cake was. The weirdest cake they had was a 100% grape juice roll. We were a bit too conservative to give that a try, but we did taste their other exotic cakes.

Cannoli

Samali
Pistachio baklava

Verdict? The cakes were by far, the sweetest cakes I've ever tasted. Luckily I had shared them with others because I wouldn't have been able to consume one slice by myself. It was as if the cakes were drenched with syrup then doused with lashings of treacle. And I thought the cupcakes Nat and I made were sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin