Sadly, yesterday was Natalie's last baking session here in New Zealand. She was leaving for Malaysia and we spent the day baking two batches of cupcakes. The first of which were Lemon Curd Butterfly Cupcakes.
(Recipe adapted from Her Magazine - July 2009 - Issue 105)
- 175g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon curd
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup milk
- Place the oven rack in the centre of the oven. Preheat the oven to 190C. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper cases.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the lemon curd.
- Fold in the flour alternatively with the milk.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the paper cases.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Transfer to a cake rack to cool.
- Cut a small disc from the centre of each cupcake and cut the disc in half. Fill the cavity with sweetened whipped cream (we used marshmallow creme) and place two halved discs on top to resemble butterfly wings. Decorate with tiny dollops of lemon curd and sprinkle with icing sugar.