- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Butter and flour a 12-cup muffin pan, or use liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat caster sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture in two parts, alternating with 1/2 cup milk.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling.
- Pierce holes into cupcakes (using a chopstick). Drop filling by rounded tablespoonfuls into the centre of each cupcake. Bake for 10 minutes longer or until toothpick inserted into the cake portion comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
Cupcakes prior to being frosted. It's best to bury the filling inside if not it'll look like some kind of eruption (like above)
Nat and I had fun with writing icing
Brown Sugar Cinnamon filling (with an added tablespoon of cocoa powder)