Thursday, October 1, 2009

Bake off


Last week I participated in an informal "bake off". Initially I was asked to bake brownies, which scared me as my friend is known to make the "best brownies EVER". This is true; her brownies are rich and decadent with a mouthful of solid chocolate in every bite. How could I compete with a batch of knock-offs? The only way that I could survive this bake off with dignity in tact was if I baked brownies with a twist. Recipes that came to mind were blondies, peanut butter swirl brownies and cookie dough brownies. Luckily, a couple of days before the bake off I was requested to bake my dark chocolate cookies. Phew. I escaped baking-social suicide (?).

My friend brought her infamous brownies at the bake off. They were delectable and stole everyone's breath away. My dark chocolate cookies stood out in the 'biscuit category' but were overshadowed by said brownies and a batch of ice-cream cupcakes. Sigh. The dark chocolate cookies didn't stand a chance.

Anyway, these are a batch of brownies with a twist.

Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies
(Adapted from Donna Hay)

Ingredients:

  • 185 g butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup plain flour, sifted
Cheesecake topping
  • 285 g cream cheese, chopped and softened
  • 1/3 cup caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 160C.
  2. Place butter, cocoa, sugar, eggs and flour in a bowl and mix well until smooth. Spoon into a 20cm-square slice tin lined with non-stick baking paper.
  3. To make the cheesecake, process cream cheese with sugar and eggs in a food processor until smooth.
  4. Place large spoonfuls of the cheesecake mixture on top of the chocolate mixture and swirl with a butter knife.
  5. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until set. Cool in the tin. Cut into squares to serve.

Makes 16.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin